The Institute has something for everyone…
Located in the beautiful ridge and valley region of south central Pennsylvania, The Institute helps people of all ages to connect with the natural world and with the rich cultural heritage of our region.
Earth Celebration Day & Festival of Art draws hundreds of visitors to enjoy environmental exhibits, live music, and displays, demonstrations and sales by area artists.
For school-aged children, The Institute provides a full range of environmental and cultural history educational programs. Our hands-on, experiential learning programs create meaningful encounters with nature and with history.
Using a variety of locations throughout the South Mountain region—including individual school campuses—our professional instructors ensure authentic learning and long-standing memories for students.
If you are an adult or teen you can enjoy The Institute too! Among the many experiences offered, you can:
• Join our water-monitoring team—we research and document the health of Antietam Creek and its many tributaries with more than 30 testing sites
• Try your hand at a heritage craft and take home a new family treasure
• Come along to view the night sky, listen for owls, or explore the geology of our mountains and valleys
• Attend one of our lecture programs and learn something new
• Celebrate the Earth during Earth Celebration Day and Festival of Art in April, or let your spirits soar at our annual Kite Fly
• Jump into an array of workshops and entertainment opportunities at the Youth Festival
• And when August rolls around, listen to world-class jazz on a Sunday afternoon.
Explore our website to find out more about what The Institute has to offer. And please contact us if you have questions about our programs and events.